Sustainability Achievements: Tissue World Barcelona
1. Carpet is one of the greatest components of waste. At Tissue World 2015, the aisle carpets were completely eliminated
2. Carbon footprints were reduced by using local suppliers, raw materials and food originating from local producers within a maximum radius of 100km from Barcelona
3. Energy was reduced by 20% through the use of low-consumption lighting in the stands, controlling lighting during the assembly and dismantling stages, through the use of natural daylight and monitoring air-conditioning levels at all times
4. Catering waste was reduced by using 100% biodegradable kitchenware, although more expensive than regular plastic plates and glasses
5. Stand construction material was cut by limiting maximum construction height to 4m, the creation of open spaces for feature areas instead of partition walls and shell scheme constructions
6. All PVC and vinyl banners were collected by a local company (By Myeco) to give them a second life.
7. Paperless processes were adopted and in the case of printing, FSC paper was exclusively used although more expensive than regular paper
8. Waste management procedures were implemented for all contractors and exhibitors, with a "waste patrol" team throughout the event. A "green fee" was applied in the case of abandoned waste.
As a result of these preventive actions, only 12,876 tons of waste was collected compared to 22,000 tons in the previous edition of Tissue World.